Social Security cover

For non-French students

You can benefit from the French Social Security system if you:

  • are aged under 28 years (the age limit can be extended for very special cases)
  • are continuing your studies in a higher education institution
  • are not covered by any other social security system.


Registration is conducted at the time of administrative enrolment in a higher education institution.
Specific documentary evidence is required (passport, residence permit, etc.) according to the student’s nationality.

For additional information

And on the website of the Ministry of Higher Education and Research

Students are also advised to take out complementary health insurance which will reimburse the difference between expenditure on health care and the refund provided by the Social Security system. It also offers cover for civil liability risks.
As regards students’ mutual insurance bodies, contributions amount to between €49 and €305 according to the particular body and the extent of cover chosen.

You can contact:
La Mutuelle des Étudiants
33, rue Marceau – BP 210
94203 Ivry-sur-Seine
Tel.:+33 (0)1 56 20 85 00  or  0810 600 601

USEM (Union des mutuelles régionales)
116, rue du Bac
75007 Paris
Tel.: +33 (0)1 44 18 37 87

La Société des Étudiants Mutualistes (SEM)
BP 519
Paris – Denfert Rochereau
75666 Paris cedex 14