Short-term stay visa


A short-term stay within the Schengen area does not exceed 90 days or a succession of stays the accumulated duration of which is less than 90 days over a period of six months. Researchers are strongly recommended to request multiple entries (“MULT” indication on the visa), in order to facilitate any travel outside the Schengen territory (congresses, collaboration with a foreign team of researchers, tourism, etc.).The visa indicates the number of days presence authorized on the Schengen area territory according to the request indicated on the Host Agreement.



To obtain a short-term Schengen visa, you are required to submit one application per person comprising the following documents:

  • a passport whose validity exceeds three months after the date of the requested visa;
  • an application form for a short-term visa duly completed and signed;
  • identity photographs (maximum of 3), 3.5 x 4.5 cm format, frontal and without head cover;
  • application fee: €60
  • together with various items of documentary evidence:


o  proof of the purpose of your stay within the “Schengen area”;
o  proof of your means of subsistence during the stay and the accommodation;
o  proof of travel and repatriation insurance;
o  guarantees of repatriation to your country of abode (return ticket or adequate personal resources for acquiring it);
o  for children aged under 18 years, specific documentary evidence;
o  any document enabling the consular authority to be convinced of your intention to leave the “Schengen area” on expiry of your visa.

Dispensation from this is granted to nationals from the EU and the European Economic Area (European Community, Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein), Switzerland, Monaco and Andorra as well as:

- nationals from the following countries: Argentina, Australia, Bermuda, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Holy See (Vatican), Honduras, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, San Marino, Singapore, South Korea, United States of America, Uruguay, Venezuela,
- holders of passports issued by the administrative region of Hong Kong (People’s Republic of China) and of the administrative region of Macao (People’s Republic of China);
- holders of a currently valid residence permit in France;
- holders of a residence permit issued by a State enforcing the Schengen agreements;
- persons holding a transport ticket issued by a State enforcing the Schengen agreements.

For further information