Residence permit

For a scientific researcher


If you are a national of the European Union, you do not need a residence permit.

If, however, you are a national of Bulgaria or Romania, you are required to be in possession of a residence permit if you wish to pursue a professional activity. Nevertheless, you are exempted from the need to have a residence permit if you are a Bulgarian or Romanian scientific researcher but do not have the status of a salaried worker (i.e. you hold a scholarship or are salaried by your institution of origin).

If you are a national from another country, you must have a residence permit.

If you hold a higher education qualification equivalent at least to a Master’s degree and you are actively engaged in research or teaching, you may apply for a “scientific researcher” residence permit. For your family, a temporary residence permit with the note “private and family life” is required, which will cover the duration of the stay requested by the researcher. A residence permit is not compulsory for minors unless they wish to work from the age of 16 onwards.

If you are living in the provinces, you should apply to the Préfecture or the Sub-préfecture of your area. If you reside in Paris, the application should be made to the Préfecture de Paris.

MINES ParisTech has been authorized by the “Dépôt Groupé” of the Préfecture de Police and the Préfecture of Seine-et-Marne to forward applications for temporary “scientific researcher” residence permits (together with those for spouses and children). You will be given a receipt for your application for the residence permit pending a medical examination at ANAEM. Therefore, you will not need to go the Préfecture for withdrawing your residence permit.
Similarly, for renewing the permit, you will be able to carry out the procedure through our correspondent two months before the validity of the permit expires.

The documents to be provided for an initial application are as follows:
  • a valid passport bearing a long-term “scientific researcher” visa;
  • a birth certificate with filiation;
  • the family record book or marriage certificate with the children’s birth certificates;
  • where appropriate, the Host Agreement stamped by the Préfecture de Police, the person in charge of the research body and the French consulate of the country of origin;
  • proof of the place of abode dated less than 3 months;
  • an application form for a medical examination with a view to the first issue of a residence permit
  • 3 recent identity photographs, 3.5 x 4.5 cm format, full front and without head cover.


You will be required to undergo a medical examination with the Agence Nationale pour l’Accueil des Étrangers et des Migrations (ANAEM). A certificate of medical aptitude is required for withdrawing a residence permit. According his/her personal circumstances, the researcher will be required to pay the fee for the medical examination.

You will be entitled to withdraw your permit two months later at:

Préfecture de Police de Paris - Salle de remise des titres
Entrée F – rez-de-chaussée
1, rue de Lutèce Paris 4°
(Métro Cité, line 4)
Monday to Thursday from 8.30 a.m. to 4.50 p.m. and on Friday from 8.35 a.m. to 4.15 p.m.

You will be required to attend in person, and show your passport and the original copies of the documents requested.

The residence permit may be renewed during the two months preceding its expiry.

N.B. Renewal is not automatic.

Relevant information must be obtained from the Préfecture regarding the list of justificatory documents.
While the renewal of the scientific researcher residence permit is free, the applicant will be charged €70 for the excise stamp for the “private and family life” permit.
The validity of the new residence permit shall not exceed one year.

The loss or theft of a temporary residence permit must be reported to the nearest police station. Once the loss or theft has been declared, an application for replacing the temporary residence permit must be made at the prefecture or sub-prefecture. A duplicate of the temporary residence permit will be established and issued to replace the lost or stolen document. The charge will be the same as for the initial application.

For other applications, please consult the website of the Préfecture de Police de Paris

For additional information:
Or +33 (0)1 53 71 40 70 from Monday to Thursday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and on Friday from 9 a.m. to 4.15 p.m.

Guide to your rights:

Reference document: Code de l’entrée et du séjour des étrangers et du droit d’asile , available on: